Thursday 2 July 2009

Zarjaz and Dogbreath Strips

I've been doing some fanzine work for the splendid chaps at FutureQuake Press. I've already done a six page story for the next issue of Zarjaz and I've just finished a three page Gronk story for the next issue of Dogbreath... I'm pretty chuffed as I lettered this strip too. I've got another strip for Dogbreath in the works as well that should be pretty cool too...

Find out more about these two brilliant publications at The Quaequam blog. If you need some reading material until your next Prog or Meg arrives, swing by their shop and order yourself some of the finest small press sci-fi you're likely to read.


This panel is from the six pager, I won't say which 2000AD 'parent' story it's from as I don't want to give too much away until the strip is printed. I felt that I should use a hatching style on this for a number of reasons, evoke part of what the original strip had and also because this is set in the 60s, I wanted a traditional 'older' look to the work - on reflection I'm not sure my hatching is up to the standard I wanted.


This panel is from the Gronk strip. I've used a home-made digital tone as I wanted to control how the 'grey' areas would appear in the final print. I also wanted to test-drive something I'd experimented with before. The other thing to mention for those of you are just along for the ride is that this panel has my depictions of Johnny Alpha and Wulf Sternhammer from Strontium Dog.

I'll submit these (and the Dredd Pin-up) to Tharg, and hopefully share his feedback as soon as I have it!

I do have some more, enormous, headline grabbing news that I can't blog about yet, but when the next issue of Zarjaz comes out... you'll know about it!

***EDIT***
Just had feedback from Tharg - man he's a speedy alien that one!
(copied from his verdant e-mail which pinged into my inbox with a certain authority)
Thanks for the samples, Kevin. Your linework is quite strong, and the pages are nice and clear, but I think you need to work further at your human figure drawing and anatomy. Dredd's foreshortened arms in the pin-up don't look quite right, for example. The characters need to feel like they're moving and have life, and that they have substance to them.

Right, onwards and upwards - I've got more samples to produce - I'll keep working on my figures - I do have some problems with anatomy and foreshortening that I'm working on and hopefully once I've cracked that...

5 comments:

Graeme Neil Reid said...

Excellent stuff Kev, I always enjoy the Future Quake titles so it'll be an added bonus to catch your work.

Hmmm... I want to know the secret now...

Also please find yourself a moment to contribute to the Guest Post on Scotch Corner, you'll be more than welcome!

Phil Toodle said...

Excellent stuff Kev, can't wait to see more.

FQP Dave said...

Nice post Kev- and some constructive feedback from TMO as well. ZARJAZ and Dogbreath are happy to have you.

qualia said...

i quite like the gronk. he'd make a great teddy bear. the full strip looks good too :-)

matt dawson said...

Loved the Gronk strip! Pro work, only what I'm come to expect! Listen to yourself sir...so much going on, the ball is definitely rolling, no moss gathering. Well done with how you've taken the Tharg feedback, it's just a matter of time.... Don't envy the you, I always hated foreshortening in life drawing classes, shame you don't have the option of just moving your easel round a bit when you are drawing a strip!