Wednesday 27 May 2009

Yggdrasil - The World Tree

A good friend asked if I'd do a picture of the legendary tree Yggdrasil from the Norse legends for his birthday. I said I'd look into it - what I turned up on the international webbery sounded really cool, if somewhat involved...


After a small discussion, this is what I produced - a picture of a tree, slightly less epic in it's nature and proportions than Yggdrasil... I'm pretty happy with the Snake gnawing at the roots. In the Norse Legend the snake is called Nidhogg. There's plenty I've omitted from the entire legend - a host of inhabitants, a golden cock, four stags, a cheeky squirrel or something, then guarding the roots, there are three goddesses called the Norns who would all have featured but I thought that may distract from the tree, which was to be the main subject matter.
On reviewing the legend, it would appear that a fire giant called Surt burns the tree down during Ragnarok which I imagine, had I drawn that instead, would have looked not dissimilar to this piece I did earlier in the year.

5 comments:

Phil Toodle said...

A golden cock, four stags, a cheeky squirrel and three goddesses... sounds like one hell of a stag do. Love the picture, Monsieur Humpherdink will be chuffed.

Anonymous said...

Yggdrasil looks even more captivating on the page and I'm still stunned by the size! (it's about the height of a full-grown troll and nearly twice his girth). Beautiful, simply beautiful.... untold thanks! Monsieur Humpherdink

qualia said...

it is going to look stunning on our wall, thanks so much kevino. much as i hate being outdone in the pressie department, i can't grumble when you've come up trumps with this, x

Bee said...

What a fantastic tree, great shapes and shadows, the snake works really well. Looks like a book cover (and one that would really make me want to read the book!)

Randy said...

I have my appointment for the tattoo of your tree design on Friday. Will be sending you pictures of the finished piece.