Saturday 5 April 2008

Illustration Friday - "Save"

ITV in the UK have been runnning a competition to create a creature for their brilliant drama Primeval. I've just submitted my entry, the deadline for entries is April 7th, so if you're interested you'll need to be very quick! Details on the competition can be found here (until the deadline at least).

If you're unfamiliar with Primeval, a rough guide to it would be Doctor Who meets The X-files, Jurassic Park, Stargate and The A Team but whatever it is exactly, it's definitely good fun!

Illustration Friday's theme this week is save... obviously if you were faced with the creature below, you'd be hoping that someone came to save you!


I'm calling it Hyenaman until a better or more suitable name occurs to me (or until a really good one is suggested to me).

On the subject of being saved... Taormina is in need of saving again and if you haven't already visited to see her most recent episode - please do and feel free to comment too! (plug, plug!)

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, this has to win, he is a fright! Best of luck!!

a : )

Unknown said...

Very cool creature, I really love your textures you've created in the background

Anonymous said...

scary dary!

Digital Scott's Illustrationblog said...

What an awesome creature! And very dramatic lighting, really sets him off!

Kelly Light said...

this scares the crap outta me.

Paul Moyse said...

Great job Kevin, great pose and lighting. I'm slightly concerned about it's gender, perhaps some kind of loin cloth would be appropriate, but if you've submitted it for the competition it would be too late for that. Either way it stands a great chance of winning.

shaky mouse said...

best of luck with the entry.. this is really well drawn, with the detail and form really well handled.. nice use of light and shade too..

Candace Trew Camling said...

whoa nice!!!!

Anonymous said...

That werewolf is awesome. I like it more than the benecio del toro wolf man making the rounds. I think the mostly hairless sort are way freakier than the hairy dog sort.

Anyhow, your whole site rocks. Your style is great.

RyanLoghry said...

WOW! Awesome drawing, and the textures! Is this watercolors, or what? Great line work too. Very cool.

Kev Levell said...

Thanks for the comments everyone - much appreciated.

Paul, I hadn't thought about gender... but now you mention it, oops!

Ryan, this is a digital illustration. I use layers in photoshop and overlay textures to create the effects.

Unknown said...

great, but I wish he'd kept his Y-fronts on.

Kenny said...

Digging the work, Mister Kev Lev! Thanks for swinging by the blog. I'd never heard of Illustration Fridays before. Have to check it out sometime.

dugbuddy said...

hokey smokes! i love it!!! love that lighting, really pays off. love that hand... THAT HAND!! ooh and the textures. yummy. what creeps me out is the no hair on the head... sort of premature birth mammal type of thing. great work man. -db

Brine Blank said...

Enjoy your work. I'm putting you on my barratuna.blogspot site to keep track of you! always enjoy a good monster pic.

Bee said...

A great character, very scary, nice work. And your Taormina adventures fit perfectly with the theme too (beautiful work as always there).