Thursday 27 March 2008

Illustration Friday - "Pet Peeves"

This week I am later than I'd hoped to be with this but I had to get some stuff ready for my agent to take to Bologna Childrens' Book Fair.
When I first saw the topic this week, I thought about a mangy old cat or something. But as I was working on the other project, I couldn't help but let that word 'peeves' float around my mind... it connected with Peeves from JK Rowling's Harry Potter books and it mutated from there until I had invented the characters you see below...


Just like everyone else, evil scientists have to get things from the shops... who better to send than your trusty servant, Mr. Peeves, he knows all the best places and looks for all the bargains too... and he'll do it all for the occasional petting.

Lots of things amused me about this, I liked it so much I have updated my website to include it.

7 comments:

Evan Arny said...

Kevin, The idea is well thought out. I love the fact that their is so much story to the illustration. I especially liked the "Fears" bag. Its easily recognizable as a play off of the 'Sears' logo. Just a suggestion though, you may have been able to throw just a touch of green into the background behind Doctor Strange but nice work though.

Eli said...

Mr. Peeves is a great slug of a man, haha, nice work, I like the background story to it too.

Anonymous said...

How delightfully disgusting!

van dyke said...

Nicely done! Good poses and expressions and a good take on the theme. Love the bag of fears.

Scott said...

Great illustration. The shopping bag is a really nice touch. Great art on your blog and website.

Paul Moyse said...

Fun idea Kevin, and great drawing. I agree with evan about the background, and perhaps some creepy lighting and murky shadows would have added more atmosphere.

Kev Levell said...

Thanks for the comments everyone. really encouraged that so many of you picked up on the bag.

Eli, yeah he's a slug alright.

Qualia, thanks for the support, it means a lot to me.

Van Dyke and Scott, thanks guys.

Evan and Paul, I think you're right about the background... I might have a play with adding a bit more spookiness to it.